What makes a good citizen – politically or in everyday life?
What brings out the best in us, rather than the rest in us?
When are we willing to cooperate across social divides?
Through academic research and consulting, I help discover answers to these questions for social science, for students, and for clients.
Cooperation is the building block of relationships – whether in wider society, in the classroom, or between a business and its customers. I use research to promote cooperation, even when achieving cooperation is quite difficult.
How do we improve online spaces where, at times, “The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity” (Yeats, 1919)?
My academic work seeks answers to these questions.
For more about the way that I apply psychology, communication, and statistics for my private sector clients, please see the Consultancy tab of this webpage. Here, suffice it to say that I work with my clients to put their ideas about their customers to the test and to design brands that have the “whole customer” in mind.
Further, I am currently working on ways to bridge the gap between my academic work and my consultancy directly. I am interested not just in studying social processes but in impacting them directly, mitigating unnecessary conflict and promoting cooperation through human-centered UX and media design.
Statistics and Methods
- Statistics: Moderation and Mediation (with Dr. Andrew Hayes of PROCESS fame), Multilevel Modeling, Structural Equation Modeling (including factor analyses), Network Analysis
- Methods: Experimental design, surveys, content analysis
- Software: Various R packages, SPSS; Qualtrics, Survey Monkey
- M.A., Ph.D., The Ohio State University, working with Dr. Knobloch-Westerwick and Dr. Garrett.
- Interdisciplinary graduate specialization in Survey Research
- In October 2020, I begin working as a Postdoctoral Fellow for Dr. Dvir-Gvirsman at Tel Aviv University!
- M.A. in the Social Sciences, University of Chicago, working with Dr. Rios
- M.A. in psychology, University of British Columbia working with Dr. Heine
- B.A. w/ honors, Dartmouth College, working with Dr. Endicott and Dr. Welsch
- 2019-2020 Peer Mentor Award Winner
- Peer Mentor from 2017-2019
- Reviewer for Communication Research; International Journal of Public Opinion Research; Mass Communication and Society; New Media and Society; Media Psychology; Cyberpsychology
My resume can be found here.
Me (Rightmost) and Some Wonderful Collaborators from Silvia’s SEMI-ME Lab at OSU!
Socially-Distanced Dissertation Defense
From left to right: Dr. Gerald Kosicki, Dr. Silvia Knobloch-Westerwick (Chair), Dr. Kelly Garrett, Dr. Kristi Williams (Graduate School Observer), Dr. Jason Coronel, and, as of that moment, Dr. Daniel Sude